Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Fun with Brussels sprouts

Brussels sprouts are awesome.  I've enjoyed them for years, and (much like kale) it seems the sprouts have recently become trendy.  Case in point, the latest Bon Appetit had a recipe for Brussels Sprouts and Steak Stir-Fry.

I wasn't entirely sure that Brussels sprouts would work in an Asian stir-fry dish, but they are great.  I should have known.  I frequently use Napa cabbage in my stir-fries, so why wouldn't these mini-cabbages work?  They get tender in the cooking process, but they hold up very well to the high heat cooking.  Their flavor compliments the other ingredients nicely.

The recipe is very heavy on the vegetables with lots of sprouts and carrots.  A little bit of flank steak will please those who crave meat.  Fresno chile adds a touch of heat, ginger, garlic, and scallions provide your classic stir-fry aromatics, and an oyster sauce and soy-based sauce mixture rounds everything out with a salty richness.

Brussels Sprouts and Steak Stir-Fry
My only variations to the recipe included the addition of sugar and chile-garlic sauce to the sauce mixture.  I thought the sauce could use some sweetness for balance.  And let's be honest - the Fresno chile is pretty mild in the grand scheme of things, and I do like some extra heat in my stir-fries!  But overall, this is a very successful dish.

Highly recommended for long-time lovers of Brussels sprouts - as well as those who are riding the Brussels sprouts bandwagon. ;-)

6 comments:

wildknits said...

Mmmmmm..... brussel sprouts.

Jean said...

Right? They are so darned good! I really enjoyed them in this stir-fry.

SteveQ said...

I've always hated brussels sprouts and keep getting told that I just haven't had them prepared correctly. I say: twenty strikes and they're out.

Nobel4Lit said...

Yum, interesting way to make those. I usually just cook mine in the oven, though I haven't in a while...

Adelyn said...

Another delicious recipe. I can't say I've ever actually prepared brussel sprouts - maybe I should give it a try sometime.

Jean said...

Steve - LOL! Yes, Brussels sprouts are definitely a love it or leave it kind of veggie!

Nobel4Lit - roasted Brussels sprouts are awesome. Yum!

Addy, you should give them a try, definitely, They are kind of like little cabbages, and I really like the taste!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails