Thursday, February 10, 2011

I'm cold

My last three runs were as follows:

Monday: 7 degrees, wind chill of -8. Had a very light layer of fresh snow on the trails. Didn't see a single person, although I saw some huge dog tracks, either that of a Siberian husky or a werewolf (next week's full moon should reveal the truth).

Tuesday: -1 degree, wind chill of -15. My eyelashes froze over pretty nicely. And thanks to Monday's snowfall, I was able to see my tracks from the previous day. It confirmed that I was the only person who had been out on the trail in the last 24 hours!

Wednesday: -1 degree, wind chill of -14. Trails were nicely leveled off today, however, making for a fast and fun running surface. Played a game of "chicken" with an oncoming, excitable golden lab (I was the one who flinched). Eyelashes froze up again, and my Buff that I was using as a scarf ended up freezing to my face mask.

Today was a day off from running, but it was -14 (actual air temperature) on the drive to work.

I'm cold.

With any luck, the cold snaps will be over with for this winter. The sun is getting noticeably higher in the sky, and temps are predicted to be in the low to upper 30's for the foreseeable future. Ought to melt some of this white hell we have been putting up with as we crawl ever so slowly towards spring.

This week has been so busy that I have barely had time to cook. Thankfully, I had a ball of sourdough pizza dough on hand, so I was able to crank out a quick, simple pizza for dinner tonight. This one cooked up quite nicely, and the crust had a beautiful rise around the edge. So good.

Sourdough pizza with sopressata, mozzarella, and aged provolone



Lately I have been making a batch of sourdough pizza dough on a weekly basis, and I think I have it down. This is really handy for making a fast and good meal on short notice, like tonight.

Since sourdough takes time to develop, I feed a batch of starter in the evening right before I got to bed. In the morning, I mix prescribed amounts of the active starter, flour, and water to create a sponge. I let that rise while I am at work. Then when I get home, I mix the final ingredients, knead the dough, and store in the fridge for at least two days to let the dough relax and expand (and I have found it to be even better tasting after about five days).

Sounds like a lot of work, but it is not. Feeding the starter and creating the sponge takes mere minutes. Kneading the dough can be accomplished in 10 minutes once you measure out your remaining ingredients (which takes an additional 5 minutes). And then you have dough on hand for the week to make pizza in rapid time. Now that is what I call "fast food!"

3 comments:

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

oh that sourdough pizza looks amazing!

Perfect for the cold weather too!

Nobel4Lit said...

You may not say it takes a lot of work, but it sounds like it does to me (because I'm lazy???). But it sure looks worth it!

Jean said...

Thanks Lisa! I put some crushed red pepper on their as well to hello with the cold weather! :)

Nobel4Lit, it really isn't too much of an effort if you've got some good starter. The work is pretty minimal, and it spread out over a couple days. But you are right, it is totally worth it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails